Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ah, it does feel good to be back!

Those of you that are avid followers of our blog/Twitter feed know that we attract quite the motley (and a lot of times, amazing) crew of folks. It's been awhile since I've had a good bus suitor story, but yesterday. Yesterday made me believe in bus romance yet again!

After waiting for almost 45 mins for any SMART bus from downtown Detroit, the 450 glows up Woodward like a the beacon of SMART (ha! that seriously makes me laugh every time I read it - and yes, I know I should probably keep that to myself) transit that it is. I hug Melissa goodbye, grab the last space on the bike rack, and settle in for a quiet bus ride home.

Just past the Midtown area, a guy is waiting for the bus with his bike. With the full bike rack, the drivers are not supposed to let people with bikes on the bus. But the driver takes a poll of us bike-owners, determines a biker is getting off the bus soon enough, and lets the guy bring his bike on the bus. Having been stuck numerous times watching buses with full bike racks fly by, I appreciate the driver's willingness to work with this biker. My Midwest self decides that I'm going to thank him for being such a great driver on my way out, and thus the story unfolds.

We roll up to the Royal Oak Transit Center, I thank the bus driver for being awesome, grab my bike off the bike rack, turn on my sassy new bike lights and I see the driver is yelling something at me. I will continue the story in screenplay fashion....you know the adventures of Two Woman Four Wheels are going to make an amazing movie/sitcom/Comedy Central special one day.

"Would you call SMART and tell them I did a great job?"
"Sure - of course. What's your name?"
"I am NOT about to tell you my name in front of this bus full of people. It is SO rude that you asked me that!" (bus door closes, bus driver drives about 5 feet and opens the bus door again)
(other bus riders are just peering at this interaction in MASS confusion)
"I wasn't trying to be rude or a jerk. I was just trying to make sure you got credit. I'm not asking for your social security number or fingerprint or anything! Sorry."
"How would you like it if I asked YOUR name in front of this bus?"
"Well, I'd tell you my name. And for the record, it's Julie."
"Alright then. You're pretty cute, so how about I get your phone number?"
And my response.....in front of a full bus audience....
"C'mon now" (shakes head)
(bus driver laughs, door closes, and my bus driver suitor rolls on).
Enddddd, scene.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment